Friday, June 7, 2024

Day 30- Crawfordsville, IN > Greenfield, IN (75 miles)

 June 7-

I take this as a good sign (pun intended) that I am getting closer to home:



Friday's route:



The anxiety app called for a screaming tailwind for the 75 miles through Indianapolis on some bike paths, so what could go wrong? While we are in Indianapolis, I had to show a photo or three from the last time I was here with Dale, Brian, and Raff catching Covid and not caring because we slayed Bama:




Ok, this blog is about a bike ride, so I should get to it...we had a guest join the Griffin crew today: Jake Nelson is a great guy who lives here in Indianapolis and married Emily Dunham, who adopted Gina and I when we were in Madrid...yep, this is like 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon. I was fired up when Jake said he could ride with us. Check out Jake and I rolling towards Indy (he is 6 ' 4" and looks like he is riding with his little boy with me in front of him...so cool to get to ride with him today. 
I did get us lost briefly, which brings me to my quote for the day from Tolkien: "Not all those who wander are lost." Today was the exception, but the quote is still a good one.

Today's ride was a perfect weather day, the route was very flat, and the roads were pretty good. Jake rode me into Indianapolis (50 miles), and then he turned off to head towards home. The ride through town is pretty cool along the White River on a bike path that lasted for 7 or 8 miles. Then, Bill did a massive, grown-up, human being pull for about 10 miles going between 23 and 30 mph...yes, the wind helped, but the diesel engine was rolling, and I almost spun out needing more gears. Boys being boys...today was a fun day, and we were lucky to be on the roads doing this.

If you are ever near Indianapolis, go see the Soldiers and Sailors Monument in downtown - it is impressive: Soldiers and Sailors


I tried to forget the fact that we had helmet day yesterday...meet Allen, who was king for the day!




Tomorrow is our last day in Indiana, and we plan to see the gym from the classic film Hoosiers...the ride is a short, flat one at 53 miles. This is good because we have 4 long days after this with some climbing...one day at a time.





1 comment:

  1. You were right around the towns my parents grew up in. It’s crazy how north of Indianapolis makes you feel like you’re south of Atlanta. Looks like yall are crushing it!

    ReplyDelete

Final thoughts...

June 26 We drove home from Boston on Sat/Sun, and the transition from seeing the roads as a cyclist versus driving a car was a little bizarr...